Home GenWiki Zeitschrift Regional Datenbanken DigiBib DES Software Mailinglisten Forum Vereine Links Hilfen/FAQs
GEDBAS FOKO GOV OFBs Adressbücher Familienanzeigen Grabsteine Totenzettel Verlustlisten 1. WK Literatur Metasuche

Home > Databases > Local heritage books >

Spacer Spacer
:: Functions
Pfeil Complete List of Surnames
Pfeil Places of Birth of Foreigners
Pfeil Places of Death of Emigrants
Pfeil External marriage places
Pfeil External professional locations
Pfeil External places of life
Pfeil Last updates
:: Statistics
101.041 individuals
27.990 families
:: Languages
Deutsch Deutsch
Dansk Dansk
Español Español
Francais Francais
Magyar Magyar
Lietuviškai Lietuviškai
Nederlands Nederlands
Polski Polski
Româneşte Româneşte
Русский Русский
Svenska Svenska
Slovenčina Slovenčina
Norsk Norsk
Português Português
Česky Česky
Українська Українська

Local heritage book of Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Left: Zion Lutheran Church, Baltimore, Maryland
Right: 1st-German-United-Evang. Church, Highlandtown, Baltimore

The present data is based on the church records of
1) Deutsche evangelisch-lutherische Zions-Gemeinde Baltimore, Gaystraße - German Evangelical-Lutheran Zions-Gemeinde Baltimore
2) Erste deutsche Vereinigte Evang. Kirche Baltimore - First-German-United-Evangelical-Church Baltimore, Eastern Avenue, Highlandtown
(partially included so far - in progress)
3) Zweite Deutsche Evangelische Gemeinde Baltimore - Second German Evangelical Lutheran Church Baltimore City 1835-1867
(partially included so far - in progress)
4) Dreieinigkeitsgemeinde Baltimore - Trinity German Lutheran Church Baltimore 1853-1877
(partially included so far - in progress)
5) Old Otterbein Church

Further data comes from daily newspapers in Baltimore and the surrounding area
In detail:
Der Deutsche Correspondent - 1857 - 1920 - daily newspaper in Baltimore - German language
Baltimorer Wecker - 1851 - 1877 - daily newspaper - German-language
The (Baltimore) Sun - English language
and other newspapers

Further data from:
Health Department of Baltimore - Death Certificate
Grave card file Baltimore
Grave occupancy lists of various cemeteries
Find a Grave
Census data
Passenger lists
Church records from USA and Germany (Archion and Matricula)
Local family registers from Germany
Newspapers from Germany (e.g. Intelligentblätter)
and other sources

Thanks to this addition from a wide variety of sources, many citizens with other religions have now also been added. A small selection:
Lutherans, Baptists, Methodists, Reformed, Pietists
Catholics, Anglicans, Old Catholics, Orthodox
Jewish communities

The recording of the church book entries was done by a team of the Niedersächsischen Landesvereins für Familienkunde e.V. (NLF). For this purpose, the church register mapping of the program GEN_DO! was used, which is designed for teamwork. After completion of the complete mapping, the merging of the persons and families followed, which had often been named in several church book entries.

In the meantime, a start was made to include entries from German church books, which are referred to by the entries of the Zion Church in Baltimore. Additions may be supplied. Please provide detailed source information according to the procedure implemented in this OFB!

The NLF team hereby presents its results. We hope to make a good contribution to the research of emigrations from Germany and welcome corrections and additions.

The project management

from Wikipedia (excerpts):

The Zion Church of the City of Baltimore (German: Zionskirche der Stadt Baltimore; also Zion Lutheran Church) is an Evangelical Lutheran church and congregation in Baltimore.

It is the oldest congregation to hold services in German at the same location in the United States without interruption since 1755, even before the Declaration of Independence. It belongs to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, a partner church of the Evangelical Church in Germany.

German immigrants settled in Baltimore immediately after the city was founded. They initially held their services in the city's only church at the time, the Anglican St. Paul's Church. In 1755, under the leadership of physician Charles Frederick Wiesenthal, they founded the "Evangelical Lutheran Congregation at Baltimore Town"; Johann Bager became the first pastor in the same year.

The congregation built its first church in 1762 on Fish Street, later renamed Saratoga, on the north side of the block of the present church. In 1785, an addition was added to it; this was also the year it was first called Zion Church in the records of the Pennsylvania Department. In 1795, the church received an organ by David Tannenberg. By 1804, the time of its fourth pastor, Johann Daniel Kurtz (1763-1856), the congregation had 318 members; the simple house of worship had become too small.

Church book "First German United Evangelical Church - First-German-United-Evangelical-Church" in Baltimore.

According to the 65th anniversary book, the church was founded in 1849.  The decision to incorporate was made by some German men and the church was founded on Dec. 1, 1849, in Eastern Hall at the corner of Broadway and Eastern Ave.  On September 1, 1850, it was incorporated by the state legislature.

In January 1850, it was also voted to purchase a cemetery.  The first two acres were purchased in October 1850 by a man named "Money" for $240. In 1877, another six acres were purchased. It was located on Philadelphia Road on the southeast side of Canton Lane.

However, the first pastor was Rev. J.F. Feisel.  Rev. Feisel served the congregation for less than a year.  Rev. Schwartz was pastor of the Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church at that time.  He resigned from that church and accepted a call to First German United.  He also took 36 families from the Broadway Methodist Church.

The urge to build a new church grew and on December 3, 1850, Pastor Schwartz submitted plans for a church building.  The plans were drawn up by a carpenter named Robinson, who offered to build the church for $6,000.  The cornerstone was laid shortly thereafter (the actual date is not known). In 1852, Rev. A. Schwartz erected a new Lutheran church on Eastern Avenue, between Register and Bank Streets. The church building is a two-story brick building and the congregation also had a schoolhouse. This church included 300 families, and membership at times exceeded 800. Sunday school attendance was also very large. (Source: History of Baltimore 1729-1898, Elliott)

The church is listed in Wood's Directory of 1860 at 234-236 Eastern Avenue (now 1725 Eastern Avenue).  Rev. Andrew (Andrew) Schwartz was pastor at this time.

The growth of the area now known as Highlandtown enabled the church to purchase additional land for the cemetery (an additional six acres was purchased from the Kimberly estate for $3,000).  The cemetery is located at 6115 O'Donnell Street.


Second German Evangelical Lutheran Church Baltimore City 1835-1867
The church was founded on November 1, 1835, after 150 people left Zion due to the dismissal of the pastor Johann Haesbeart because of doctrinal disagreements.  Zion was known as the first German church, and therefore this church was called the second.  The first service was held in a rented building at Saratoga and Holliday Streets in Baltimore.  The congregation hired Pastor Haesbeart and a cantor.  It drew up a constitution, purchased a cemetery (on Robert Street near Madison Avenue) and eventually bought its house of worship from Irish Presbyterians for $4,400.  
Pastor Haesbaert resigned due to illness and worked until the end of 1844. On October 24, a call was sent to Pastor Wyneken, which he accepted.
Pastor Wyneken was inaugurated on March 7, 1845.  During the transition period, Pastor Daniel Kurtz preached for the Second German Lutheran Church.  He had retired from Zion and knew the people.  He was 81 years old at the time. He preached his last sermon at St. Paul's (Second German) on February 24, 1850, following a call from Trinity Church in St. Louis.
He was followed by Rev. Keyl, who was a scholar and accomplished musician and brought with him an extensive library and a Viennese grand piano.
Around this time, new land was purchased for a cemetery.  It was 1854, and four and a half acres were purchased for $3,000.  The site is located in Druid Hill Park.  The deed was written in German.  The bodies from Robert Street Cemetery were moved to St. Paul's Cemetery.  It was also called "God Acres".
Pastors in the period covered:
Reverend Johann Haesbeart (1835 to 1844)
Pastor F.K.D. Wyneken (1845 to 1850)
Pastor Ernst Gerhard Wilhelm Keyl (1850 to 1867)

Trinity German Lutheran Church, Baltimore City, 1853-1877
Trinity is one of the oldest German churches in the city.  It was located in Trinity Street to the east of High Street.  It was founded in 1839. The congregation was very large in the mid-19th century, and neither the church nor its pastor had a synodical connection at that time.  However, they claim to be Lutheran.
They were formerly affiliated with the old Pennsylvania Synod.
The church itself was built in 1791 as Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church on the little road between Exeter and High.  Most of the members of this congregation either moved to the suburbs or fell victim to yellow fever, which was rampant in the city at the time.  The last rector of the church was Rev. Dr. John Bartow.  After 50 years of decay, Miss Annie Price, who held the mortgage on the property, sold the church to the German community.  The only condition was that the name of the church should remain "Trinity".
The pastors in the edited portion of the church records were:
Rev. Mr. Weimann (lost his life in a shipwreck in 1858 while returning to Germany)
Rev. Martin Kratt
Rev. W. Strobel


Old Otterbein Church
The denomination of the United Brethren in Christ had its origin around 1781 under Rev. Philip William Otterbein, who was a devoted German minister.  Mr. Otterbein (1726-1813) came to Baltimore in 1751 as a missionary to German colonists in Pennsylvania. In 1774, he accepted the pastorate and organized the Evangelical Reformed Church under the name of United Brethren.  The original name of the church was "The German Evangelical Reformed Church of Howard's Hill".

The congregation was composed of those that seceded from the First German Reformed Church a few years earlier under the leadership of Rev. Mr. Swope.  In 1775 the lot on Conway Street near Sharpe was purchased and a wooden structure built. 

:: More links
Pfeil USA
Pfeil Baltimore in the Genealogical Place Register GOV
Pfeil Official Homepage
Pfeil Baltimore in Wikipedia
Pfeil Geographical Location, City map Baltimore
:: Contact
For further information concerning these data and, if you have additions, corrections or questions, please contact:
Rainer Dörry

Niedersächsischer Landesverein für Familienkunde e.V.

Dieses Werk ist lizenziert unter einer Creative Commons - Namensnennung 4.0 International Lizenz Creative Commons Lizenzvertrag