Local heritage book Neibsheim
The founding of Neibsheim dates back to the Franks. The place was originally mentioned in the year 770 and was called Nichbodesheim. The first written mention is, so to say, the birth announcement, and so Neibsheim could celebrate its 1200 years of existence in 1970. The current spelling appeared for the first time in the middle of the 18th century. Up until the Middle Ages there were only forenames and the sons received the same name as the father for the most part. From the farms villages arose and carried the names of their occupiers. And so Nichbotesheim means “the home of a man named Nichtbod.” Since 1972 Neibsheim has been a borough of Bretten and has about 1800 inhabitants.
In this Local Heritage Book database 15633 persons are included.
Remarks / Sources:
For source information the Church Books of the Catholic Rectory of Neibsheim were utilized. Family books, Baptismal Books as of 1650, Marriage Books as of 1654, Death Books as of 1660. In addition data comes from the microfilms of the Latter Day Saints Church, from the OSB Books of the Badischen Landesbibilothek and from the internet.
Translated by Karen Gebhardt Shepard